Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Pap Smear Scare


I got the dreaded note from the doctor about the results of the last pap smear. The note states: "It shows a need for immediate action". So I immediately thought CANCER!
They already pre-scheduled me for a colposcopy appointment for August 7th, so it must be serious. I will try not to freak out.

However, I looked up colposcopy in About.com and it does not necessarily mean one has cancer but shows inflammation or other infection. I think that it's better to know than not to know....but the mind works in mysterious ways like thinking of all the time one has felt more tired than usual...or when one particular day you had to throw up because of nausea...etc, etc, and so on until one gets worked up into a frenzy!

The procedure is fairly simple. Acetic acid is placed on the cervix (ouch!), which causes the cervical cells to fill with water so light will not pass through. Then a large electric microscope is positioned to see the cervix. Abnormal vascular areas will show up as white and a tissue sample is taken from the whitest areas are sent to the lab for further evaluation.

I'm the type of person that is very curious and will try to trick the doctor into telling me right then and there what he sees. I did that during my pelvic ultrasound in which I said " I know you are not supposed to tell the patient if you see something bad as you need to get lab results back, but is there anything you can tell me about what you see?" That is when the tech said that I had some minor watery cysts that are perfectly normal. So I will probably try the same tactic.

I will keep everyone updated.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The exact same thing happened to me.. only it was my very first pap smear ever less than a week before my wedding - I thought cancer immediately also and stressed my whole honeymoon - then the day I got back had that second test done which meant no hanky panky for 2 weeks and I had only been married 4 days - my poor hubby haha :)
came across your sight on the post you left on the crafty moms - sorry if too graphic :)

charkstudios said...

Dear Anonymous...Thank you so much for your comment! I hope everything came out alright for you though, as you did not say what happened in the end!